This infographic captures the average wages for full time jobs posted on babajob.com between Jan ‘11 to Jul ‘11 for jobs in the following categories – call center, house keeper, office helper and sales representatives. House keeper and office helper are informal sector jobs while sales representatives and call center jobs are entry level positions for people with a 12th grade education in the formal sector.
A few high level observations:
1) Call center wages have the highest variation across the country, with Tier II cities like Nagpur, Jaipur and Pune paying significantly higher than Tier I cities such as Delhi and Mumbai. Jaipur’s wage is ~Rs.3000 more than neighboring Delhi, while Pune pays ~Rs.1000 more than neighboring Mumbai. This is probably indicative of call center jobs migrating to smaller cities and driving up demand and wages for these positions there.
2) A similar trend is seen for sales representative wages – Pune and Jaipur on average pay higher wages than Tier I cities such as Delhi, Mumbai and Kolkata.
3) On average western Indian cities pay higher wages.
4) Delhi and Kolkata tend to show up towards the bottom across the spectrum.
5) Sales and call center wages are similar across all cities. House keepers and officer helpers have similar wages as well.
Since this represents a snapshot in time and has limited applicability to other cities in India it would be incorrect to draw general conclusions from this data. We would love to hear your thoughts and comments on this information and any suggestions you might have for further research.
Please mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org